When it comes to achieving financial fitness, most people immediately think of budgeting, debt management and retirement plans – and rightly so! They all play a huge part in financial success. However, another component of financial well-being is understanding how to protect yourself from ID theft. Check out the following tips to help stop scams in their tracks:
- Be wary of emails, texts or phone calls requesting your financial information. Don’t give out financial information, including checking and card numbers, unless you initiated contact for a legitimate reason.
- Don’t share passwords or other credentials used to access mobile banking and other apps.
- Closely guard personal identification numbers (PINs) for your debit and credit cards as well as your receipts.
- Report lost or stolen checks, credit cards and debit cards immediately.
- Check your credit often. Your credit report contains information about the status of your credit accounts and your payment history. A good credit score is critical to qualifying for loans at the best possible rates. You can go to com to obtain a free annual credit report from each of the three credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.
- Download and begin using Brella, the free app that provides added protection on your debit card; click here to learn how the Brella app can help protect you.
- Visit the following websites for additional tips on scams and how to avoid them:
Being aware of common practices of scammers and having precautions in place put you one step ahead! And remember, if you ever suspect fraudulent activity on your accounts, call your local Southeastern Bank immediately.
About Us: Southeastern Bank, established in 1888, has a long history of serving its customers and communities. From checking accounts and loans to investments and more, Southeastern Bank has the financial products you need most. Southeastern Bank has 10 locations throughout coastal Georgia and northeast Florida that include Brunswick, Callahan, Darien, Eulonia, Folkston, Hilliard, Kingsland, Nahunta, Richmond Hill and St. Simons Island.